January 30, 2013

Meal Planning 101: Shopping/Cooking Day

The day has come for you to head off to the grocery store and buy the items on your list. Here are a few tips to remember when you head out the door:

  • The best way to stay on a budget (if you have one) is to only buy the things that are on your list. DO NOT IMPULSE BUY! One item turns into two and then to twelve extra items you don't need.
  • Go by yourself. You don't need anyone else with you that will lead you astray from the things that are on your list.
  • Don't forget your coupons if you have them. If you forget them, they will more than likely be expired before you need to buy that item again.
  • If your budget allows, buy your meat in bulk once a month. I go to a meat market and get really great deals on chicken and ground beef, which we eat alot of due to a teenage boy in the house. Plus, it's always nice to have a little extra meat in the freezer just in case you have unexpected guests or a change in plans.
After you get home from the grocery store is when the work actually begins.
  • I like to get my meals ready for at least the first few days on the day that I go shopping. Almost any weeknight meal can be frozen and then cooked at a later date. It saves a bunch of time on the nights when you are working late and don't have a whole lot of time or energy to stand around in the kitchen.
  • Separate all of your meat and package it. With my chicken, I bag each breast seperatly. Ground beef is bagged by the pound. I started bagging my meat this way when I started having too many leftovers due to people waiting until the last minute to decide they weren't hungry or had other plans.
  • It's also a good idea to separate any produce you may need for each meal. If you have two meals this week that need chopped onions, go ahead and chop the onions, separate and bag them accordingly (Don't forget to label them).
Be sure to check back the rest of the week because i'll be sharing some of my favorite, go-to meals. I'll also talk about crock pot and freezer meals (my favorite). If you have any additional tips or comments feel free to shoot me an email or comment below.

Happy Shopping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment